Saturday 31 August 2013

SBC Day 9: Be still my hoop-spinning, ribbon-twirling, ball-bouncing, rope-jumping heart!!

With Kindergarten starting this year we are limiting MBear's extra curricular activities.  If I could have it my way she would be in:

  • artistic gymnastics 
  • rhythmic gymnastics
  • dance
  • swimming
  • skating
  • art classes
  • piano lessons
  • and probably more.
This can't happen.  I have to be realistic and know that she is a CHILD.  She doesn't NEED any of these classes.  She NEEDS to play!!  And swimming.  That is a life skill, something that could potentially save her life someday.  And when isn't there a need for swim teachers/lifeguards fir future part time jobs or summer work?  But I digress.

With her not being able to get into the dance class she needs to be in, me not loving the long drive to the gymnastics centre that I like best, her fear of falling at skating lessons and also a lack of money to do a zillion activities I threw the idea out to her.

Earlier that morning, we had watched this video together.  We watch a lot of rhythmic videos together.  Earlier this summer we watched a very good friend of mine perform for her mom's retirement.  MBear was in AWE of what she saw.  Even better was when I took her behind the competitive curtain and she saw all the girls practicing.  She was speechless (and that means A LOT if you know the girl!).  A while later, after dancing around pretending to be that gymnast, she asked when she would be old enough to "dance like those girls in the videos".  My heart stopped.  My baby girl, wanting to follow in her mummy's footsteps (even though I never competed and never, ever was a fraction as good as the girls in the videos we watch), a dream come true!

Paperwork is filled out, cheques postdated, envelope addressed and stamped.  This year MBear will try her hand at rhythmic gymnastics.  I could not be more excited, thrilled, happy and the teensiest bit terrified that she might just love it as much as I do!

This post is a part of the Summer Blog Challenge 2013. You can check out the full list of participants HERE, and comment on Liam’s blog to join us! Meanwhile, check out what Liam,NatashaZitaHethrApril, and others are up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment